?On 31 January Jim Clark wrote re gender differences in mathematics
scores in the UK:
>I was struck by the following comments on the results:

>Mary Bousted, general secretary of the Association of Teachers and
Lecturers, said: "The problem has been that in the 1960s and 1970s boys
were getting 12-13% more O-level passes than girls and no one really
talked about it. When girls started to do better there were Panorama
programmes and inquiries and a national debate. There's a national panic
if girls and women start to be successful. Girls have been more
successful at GCSE and A-levels but that hasn't closed the gender pay
gap. Even if they do better they don't get paid as much."

>Things must have been remarkably different in UK than North America!
Certainly there has been much effort over here into reducing male
advantage.  I find it difficult to believe there wasn't corresponding
efforts in UK.<

Jim, you have to allow for a certain polemical tone in the remarks of
Mary Bousted. There hasn't been a "national panic", but there has been
a justified concern about the fact that an appreciable segment of boys
in schools in England and Wales (I'm not sure if it apples to Scotland
and Northern Ireland, which have had their own schooling systems) has
virtually opted out of the educational process. In addition, quite
naturally, there has been discussion of the reasons why in recent
decades the overall exam grades have become appreciably higher for
girls, and, specifically, for the first time overtook those of boys in
mathematics.

Here is an example of the discussion, from a 2004 BBC website:

"Up until the late 1970s boys and girls were scoring roughly equally at
the then main school-leaving examinations, the O-level and CSE. But
 from then on girls began to pull ahead. The change to the GCSE in the
late 1980s appears to have coincided with a dramatic opening of the
gender gap. Since then the gap has remained steady with a clear
disparity in favour of girls.

"There are many possible explanations for this. The GCSE is a different
type of exam from its predecessors. With its emphasis on course-work,
it tends to reward the conscientious student rather than the
risk-taker."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3494490.stm

A balanced discussion (with the relevant statistics) from an
experienced teacher of Sociology and Government and Politics is here:
http://www.earlhamsociologypages.co.uk/genddata.htm#and

"From the 1950s to the 1970s the percentages of male and female school
leavers achieving 5 or more GCE "O" Level [exam taken at age 16] passes
were very similar…

"In fact the female candidate pass rate was higher (and in some cases
significantly higher) than the  male candidate pass rate in English
Language, History, French, RE and Art while the male candidate pass
rate was usually higher in Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology
although in these subjects gender differences in candidate pass rates
were relatively small."

"By the early 1980s girls and boys were now equally likely to take GCE
"O" Level Examinations and the percentages of both boys and girls
taking these examinations increased gradually. Gender differences in
percentages passing 5 or more GCE "O" Levels were small but
nevertheless about 1%- 2% in girls' favour.

"However this single statistic hid the facts that girls were often
significantly outperforming boys in Arts and Humanities subjects and
that boys were slightly outperforming girls in Mathematics and Science
subjects."...

On the general point raised by Jim, I would say that it is the case
that the issues highlighted by the Summers affair, and the Pinker vs
Spelke exchange, have not had much exposure in the press in the UK,
which means that the subject has been treated somewhat superficially.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

?On 30 January, Jim Clark wrote:
>It also matters how math is measured ... girls do better in school
>generally than boys, perhaps because they are more motivated
>and conscientious*

In relation to which the following may be of relevance:
"Boys overtake girls in maths GCSE as coursework dropped"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/aug/27/maths-gcse-coursework-dropped

JC:

I was struck by the following comment on the results:

Mary Bousted, general secretary of the Association of Teachers and
Lecturers, said: "The problem has been that in the 1960s and 1970s boys
were getting 12-13% more O-level passes than girls and no one really
talked about it. When girls started to do better there were Panorama
programmes and inquiries and a national debate. There's a national panic
if girls and women start to be successful. Girls have been more
successful at GCSE and A-levels but that hasn't closed the gender pay
gap. Even if they do better they don't get paid as much."

Things must have been remarkably different in UK than North America!
Certainly there has been much effort over here into reducing male
advantage.  I find it difficult to believe there wasn't corresponding
efforts in UK.

More generally on the issue of gender differences in math and sci, I
had forgotten earlier about the debate between Pinker and Spelke, which
has much relevant material and is available on-line at:

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/debate05/debate05_index.html

When teaching this and like topics, I tend to illustrate the research
on the two sides of the debate and (if appropriate for the audience)
discuss some of the politics of such controversial research (e.g.,
objections to Benbow being on a national panel to study the issue,
assertions that we should not even be studying gender differences /
comparisons).

Take care
Jim

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=150