I found this sentence in the Christian Science Monitor particularly
interesting:

Some Japanese still want an apology for the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and
Nagasaki...

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2010/0806/Hiroshima-65-years-later-US-attends-ceremony-but-offers-no-apology

An apology for an act of war is a concept I don't think I've heard of often.
 Should there be?  Who should apologize?

Actually, the British government's apology for covering up the actions of
their soldiers in Northern Ireland recently came close.  But as I recall,
the apology was for the coverup that was found.  (I could be wrong about
that.)

So, what do you all think about the necessity for, or expectation of, an
apology for an act of war?

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University