Yeah, I agree! (sort of, but ...) My understanding (haven't read the original)
is that Copernicus (Latinized from the Polish name Kopernik) was theoretically
embedded in the medieval way of thinking which was to try to fit the available
data into pre-existing medieval-style thinking. I believe he showed that either
a geo or helio-centered universe could be made consistent with existing data.
Galileo deserves a tremendous amount of credit for pushing science forward, but
look to Kepler's three laws of planetary motion (1609/1619) for a real
data-driven science (Tycho Brahe's data though), moving from the perfect
circles of medieval thinking to elliptical orbits. But in empirically derived
laws, he saw a different sort of perfection, mathematically, such as the
relationship between distance from the sun and time to orbit (3rd law I
believe) ...

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State University
Plymouth NH 03264
GALILEO GALILEI:
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reasons, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.