I am somewhere between the two, also.

I have seen cases of self-plagiarism which I find objectionable. Typically, they have involved a cut-and-paste from one type of publication (e.g., a Psych Review article) to a completely different type of publication (e.g., a sophomore textbook). The author didn't take the time to restate the points in a manner suited to the audience.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor and Assistant Chairperson
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA

Paul C Bernhardt wrote:

I'm somewhere between the two. I do think that occasionally we need to restate something and the way we've wordsmithed it over multiple edits really is the best way to say it. But, when you might see yourself duplicating a major subsection of an intro or method, it is probably better to summarize what you said in the other paper and cite so the interested reader who wants those details can go get it there.
Paul C Bernhardt
Frostburg State University
Frostburg, MD, USA
pcbernhardt[at]frostburg[d0t]edu