Mike Britt started his thoughtful post:
>I think most of us try to stay away from the
>science vs. religion thing, but I might as well jump in...

I really didn't see my post as yet another pot shot in the science vs
religion skirmishes. (At this point nowadays I'm supposed to say that
I'm sorry if anyone felt offended by what I wrote, I didn't intend to
do so, not to mention that no animals or trees were hurt in the course
of my writing and sending the post, and I must remember not to leave my
TV on standby tonight.)

I'm fascinated by the phenomenon of giving thanks to God for some
peoples' lives being saved, whereas others have lost their lives (in
the same, or corresponding circumstances) despite there being as much
prayer devoted to them.

Watching football (soccer to you lot :-) ) on TV one sees players
crossing themselves as they come onto the pitch at a substitution
(especially South American and African players, and perhaps to a lesser
degree Spanish and Italian players). Obviously their teams sometimes
win and sometimes lose, and the guy crossing himself every game must
sometimes have bad days and sometimes good ones. And as far as I know,
those who regularly have mediocre games don't cross themselves any less
than their more talented colleagues – now there's an idea for a study
which could win an Ignoble Prize. :-)

Obviously the players know this, but it makes no difference. So surely
something else must be going on other than a belief that God is going
to give them a special boost that day. But what is it?

I'll finish with a quote providing a way of looking at religion
historically that I think is food for thought for atheists and
agnostics, from the philosopher Simon Blackburn in a review of Richard
Dawkins's book of essays *A Devil’s Chaplain: Reflections on Hope,
Lies, Science, and Love*:

"It is a good question whether the Wittgensteinian account [previously
discussed] chimes very well with the self-understanding of believers,
and whether it matters if it does not. It has consequences for one
problem that troubles Dawkins, which is the extent to which even
atheists seem drawn to ‘respect’ the attitudes and beliefs of religious
people. Why should anyone ‘respect’ the belief that there is a china
teapot orbiting the sun? It is just dotty, and there is an end of it.
But if we see a religious tradition as a record of a culture’s ongoing
attempts to cope with fear and hope, life and death, gain and loss,
then it becomes a candidate for respect, just as much as the other
poetry and songs of our ancestors."

http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/~swb24/reviews/Dawkins.htm

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

Re: [tips] Why don't we hear more about such things?

Michael Britt
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 05:23:04 -0700

I think most of us try to stay away from the science vs. religion
thing, but I
might as well jump in...

The explanation of 'God saved them" always seems to come up whenever
anything
"miraculous" occurs after a tragedy and it has always bothered me
because of
course, one could always wonder why God didn't save other people who
died or
why God allowed the terrible event to occur in the first place.  I
heard the
"God saved them" argument so many times in the Catholic church that it
was one
of the reasons I became an Episcopalian.  Our minister/priest (whatever
they
call him) this past Sunday decided to discuss the "God saved them"
argument
during his sermon and  he said this kind of thinking "makes for a
brittle kind
of religiousness" because the opposite argument (why did God allow this
happen) makes just as much sense.  His opinion was that he didn't know
why the
tragedy happened or whether God was involved at all.  Religion, he
said, is a
journey and we do not have all the answers.  That's a definition of
religion I
can live with.

Michael

  Michael Britt