Louis writes:
>Allen, what rosy picture?

Louis: Please quote me accurately. I referred to "your RELATIVELY rosy
portrait of religious life in China today" (my emphasis). I leave any
TIPSters who read what follows in the latter part of this post to judge
whether what you wrote was indeed a "relatively rosy" portrait of the
state of religion in China today. But first your words:

>Buddhism is one of the five "permitted" religions --no
>1st amendment here—IN WHAT SO MANY AMERICANS
>THINK IS ATHEISTIC, COMMUNIST CHINA! HOW ABOUT
>THAT! TALK ABOUT ATTACKING STEREOTYPES!
[My upper case for emphasis.]

The use of the word "stereotypes", especially with the three
exclamation marks in successive sentences, clearly implies at least a
partial misconception on the part of Americans. How could Americans
believe partially misconceived stereotypes about Communist China's
treatment of religious people?

"…religion in China was severely repressed under Mao Zedong’s Communist
rule, especially during the Cultural Revolution (1966–1976), religious
traditions remained alive, but often underground."
http://www3.ptsem.edu/inSpire/spring2010/index.aspx?id=3926

More on that misleading "stereotype" of the Chinese People's Republic's
treatment of religion:

1966-1976 – The Cultural Revolution begins.  Red Guards carry out a
ruthless campaign to crush religion. All religious activities were
banned and church buildings were either closed or destroyed. Hundreds
of clergy, including TSPM pastors, were sent to labor camps for
re-education through labor.
http://www.chinaaid.org/qry/page.taf?id=136

Bringing things more up to date to show what a misleading
"stereotypical" view Americans have about Chinese treatment of
religious folk outside organisations officially sanctioned by the
government: The Guardian 18 July 2009:

"Anyone practising religious observance outside officially sanctioned
channels, including members of unofficial Catholic churches or
Protestant house churches, risk detention. Other groups at risk include
Muslims in the Xinjiang Uighur autonomous region, especially those
branded as religious extremists by the authorities."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/18/china-falun-gong-crackdown

No doubt during the time you have spent in China you heard all about
"the detention and torture of Christians… In February, 21, 2008,
prominent Christian leaders were sentenced to re-education through
labour in what one agency, China Aid Association, described as the
largest mass sentencing of house church leaders in 25 years."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/19/religion.humanrights

Somehow you never did get around to telling me how, in a vast country
like China, you could declare so confidently:
>But, Buddhism is practiced openly and without
>any restriction or government interference.

Obviously you didn't include Tibet in this statement. Do you disagree
with the Chinese government's view that Tibet is an integral part of
China?

>Now, I have traveled China for the past six years; I have
>taught in China for the past six years.  I have visited Buddhist
>temples and Islamic mosques.  I have spoken with Buddhist
>priests and Islamic imams.  I have talked with Chinese citizens
>of all ages and from all walks of life.  I have eyes.  And, by
>the way, I have also seen and spoken with members of the
>Falun Gong and Christian evangelicals (allowed to worship
>in private homes, but not in the open or in Churches edifices).

The area of China is approximately 3.75 million square miles. Even
allowing that a vast part of this in virtually uninhabited, it still
leaves a huge area of China that you didn't see (not to mention what
you were not told by your contacts). The journalist Edgar Snow lived in
China for many years. Here is his relatively rosy impression of China
during the great famine of 1959-1962:

"I saw no starving people in China ... Considerable malnutrition
undoubtedly existed. Mass starvation? No." and: "Whatever he was
eating, the average Chinese maintained himself in good health, as far
as anyone could see."

In fact tens of millions died of hunger and malnutrition during the
famine:
"Most died of hunger, over two million were executed or tortured to
death, the birth rate halved in some places …"

http://www.literaryreview.co.uk/mirsky_09_10.html

During the time you have spent time in China in the last six years no
doubt you have learned all about the following, and discussed such
events (occurring in 2004) with the Christians you met (who of course
felt comfortable about being completely open about discussing the
situation of their co-religionists with a foreigner):

"They hung me up across an iron gate, then they yanked open the gate
and my whole body lifted until my chest nearly split in two. I hung
like that for four hours."

That is how Peter Xu Yongze, the founder of one of the largest
religious movements in China, described his treatment during one of
five jail sentences on account of his belief in Christianity.

Mr Xu, 61, is not the only Chinese Christian to suffer for his faith.
Both Catholics and Protestants have long complained of persecution by
the Communist authorities, and human rights groups claim the problem is
getting worse.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3993857.stm

And no doubt you discussed this with those same religious people:

Amnesty report, 2001: Torture in China - a growing scourge in China:
Torture and ill-treatment are prevalent during high profile political
campaigns such as the crackdown on the banned Falun Gong organization.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/ASA17/004/2001/en/f3b4ee46-dc53-11dd-bce7-11be3666d687/asa170042001en.html

And in your discussions with so many people, you no doubt heard all
about this (Amnesty International, 2000):

In police stations, detention centres, prisons, "re-education through
labour" camps and repatriation centres throughout China, torture is
widespread and should be seriously condemned by the UN Committee
Against Torture (CAT), Amnesty International said today.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/ASA17/022/2000/en/e367633a-df3f-11dd-a3b7-b978e1cb2058/asa170222000en.html

And when you have "spoken with members of the Falun Gong" they
mentioned this:

"Torture and ill-treatment are prevalent during high profile political
campaigns such as the crackdown on the banned Falun Gong organization."
And this: " Many cases have also been reported in which Falun Gong
practitioners, alone or in groups, were taken by police to mental
hospitals where they were detained for periods varying from a few days
to many months." And this: "By mid January 2001, at least 120 Falun
Gong practitioners (62 women) were reported to have died since the
beginning of the crackdown on the group in July 1999."

I'm sure those Falun Gong people you met told you about the following
experiences of their co-religionists (2004 BBC report):

The target of merciless persecution in China, Falun Gong (Work of the
Law Wheel) - also known as Falun Dafa (Method of the Law Wheel) -
evades easy definition. Claiming to be an ancient technique of
self-development, Falun Gong is an eclectic mixture of Taoist and
Buddhist principles with a sprinkling of extraterrestrials.

Despite its emphasis on positive thinking and avowedly non-political
stance, its Chinese followers have become the victims of a campaign of
systematic and appalling human rights abuses. The death toll in custody
almost certainly runs into thousands (Amnesty International gives a
fully authenticated figure of 700) but the problem with Chinese
statistics is that they vary according to their political importance.
Falun Gong itself gives a higher figure for deaths under torture for
which they can verify names and locations, but the likelihood is that
the figures (as so often in China) may be very much higher - because
most of the deaths in labour camps go unreported.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2922644

With all those contacts you must have heard that it's still going on:

Ten years after the prohibition on Falun Gong was ordered by China's
former leader Jiang Zemin, commencing a brutal crackdown on its
adherents, believers such as Qiao's parents are still being pursued,
despite international protests. The only change is that the persecution
is now more secretive.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/18/china-falun-gong-crackdown

I suppose from your point of view, labour/re-education camps don't
exist in China any more than severe, and sometimes brutal, repression
of religious groups since you didn't see any sign of them, and
(presumably) none of your many contacts talked about them.

Incidentally, all but the first few sentences of the first paragraph of
your latest response is so irrelevant to the points I made that I can
only describe that passage as a red herring to evade addressing the
subject under discussion, namely, China's policies towards religion
post-1949 with particular emphasis on the recent and current situation.

>So, if you want to continue this discussion in more detail,
>I'd be only to happy to do so off-line.

Thanks, but no thanks, Louis.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

----------------------------
Re: [tips] Random Thought: China Diary, Ourselves
Louis E. Schmier
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:29:33 -0700
Allen, what rosy picture?  And, whatever defensiveness you see in my
reply, is
in your eyes.  Again, there is no 1st amendment in China.  Religious
practice
is controlled, albeit "permitted" or otherwise.  But, you do want to
rewrite
history, don't you. When you mix religion with politics, it's all about
politics--as was the case of the English Reformation begun essentially
by that
Defender of the Faith (Catholicism), Henry VIII, as is in the case of
Tibet, as
is the case of the Uighurs, and as was the case with Mao's campaign
against
religion in China.  Remember Mao, in the course of his revolution
against
western control and influence in China, said that Christianity was
western
religion introduced to China on a cannonball, that is, it and its
contending
missionaries, represented the presence of western, imperial,
denigrating
domination.  But, at the same time, this control, repression,
suppression,
isn't particularly new in Chinese history any more than it is unique in
European history.  You only have to go back to the late 18th century
White
Lotus rebellion and the Taiping rebellion of the early 19th century,
both of
which were seen as challenges to imperial authority.

Now, I have traveled China for the past six years; I have taught in
China for
the past six years.  I have visited Buddhist temples and Islamic
mosques.  I
have spoken with Buddhist priests and Islamic imams.  I have talked
with
Chinese citizens of all ages and from all walks of life.  I have eyes.
And, by
the way, I have also seen and spoken with members of the Falun Gong and
Christian evangelicals (allowed to worship in private homes, but not in
the
open or in Churches edifices).

But, this has little to do with teaching or psych.  So, if you want to
continue
this discussion in more detail, I'd be only to happy to do so off-line.

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier
http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org
Department of History
http://www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, Georgia 31698                     /\   /\  /\
/\

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=5918
or send a blank email to
leave-5918-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu