On 26 October Michael Sylvester wrote:
>I saw a program on Jane Goodall where she saw chimps use
>sticks to fetch ants from an ant hill. She was fascinated by their
>tool utilization and alerted the scientific community who initially
>remained skeptical.

I've been an avid follower of Jane Goodall's work since I read *In the
Shadow of Man* in 1971, and I don't recall that the scientific
community as a whole initially remained sceptical of her observations
about the use of small branches shorn of their leaves to entice ants
out of nests so they could eat them. Nor do I recall anything like this
being said in the recent BBC biographical documentary on Goodall
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v9j22

Quite possibly some ethologists were sceptical in the sense that they
thought the behaviour aberrant or too rare to be generalised about, but
that doesn't make them "the scientific community".

Louis Leakey's immediate response was: "We must now redefine man,
redefine tool, or accept chimpanzees as human!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Goodall#cite_ref-Chimp_10-0

>Anyway why were Goodall's chimps eating ants?
>Ain't those Bozo types vegetarian?

Goodall reported on chimps hunting colobus monkeys decades ago.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

michael sylvester <msylves...@copper.net>
Subject:        Fw: Who's on first?
Date:   Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:18:37 -0200

Not referring to an Abbot and Costello flick, but I saw a program on
Jane Goodall where she saw chimps use sticks to fetch ants from an ant
hill.She was fascinated by their tool utilization and alerted the
scientific community who initially remained skeptical. However ,when I
was at Wichita  State in the early 1970s,I knew a prof at WSU
by he name of Neil Pronko who published a text of articles in a work
titled PANORAMA
OF PSYCHOLOGY where he had a piece on monkeys on a Pacific island
that washed potatoes before eating them.
For monkeys to wash potatoes before eating them certainly implies
higher cognitive function. I  do not remember the time line for the
both of those animal observations.
Anyway why were Goodall's chimps eating ants? Ain't those Bozo types
vegetarian?

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6026