#7," Fred Nickols (2011), in his post TrDev-L post of 11 Jan 2011
07:32:50-0700 wrote [my insert at ". . . . .[[insert]]. . . . ":

"From where I sit, the emphasis on learning outcomes stems from
Robert F. Mager's. . . . [[< http://bit.ly/hJkNKO >. . . .]] 1961
book "Preparing Instructional Objectives". . . . . Mager's work was
preceded by Ralph W. Tyler . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .  [[<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_W._Tyler >. . . . ]] at OSU.
Tyler concluded that objectives were central to success in education.
Although Mager's work has probably been more influential in the world
of training, it also made a big dent in education back in the 1960s.
The SMART acronym came along later. "

As former chair of Indiana University's ACROnym Committee (ACROC -
pronounced "A Crock", I blush to admit that I'm uncertain about
Nickols' intended meaning for SMART.

The Acronym Finder  <http://www.acronymfinder.com/> gives 119
meanings for SMART at
<http://www.acronymfinder.com/SMART.html>.

I assume that for Nickols SMART = Southeast Michigan Astrologers'
Round Table ;-), but other meanings may have been intended, e.g.:

Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation

Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely

Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-Bound

Simulation and Modeling for Acquisition, Requirements and Training

Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Relevant, and Timely (process metrics)

Soundly Made, Accountable, Reasonable, and Thrifty

Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Results-oriented, Time-based

Statistical methodology analysis reporting technique

Simulation and Modeling Anchored in Real-World Testing

Specific, Motivating, Achievable, Rewarding, and Tactical

Student Managed Academic Resource Time

Systems Management Analysis, Research & Test

Simulation and Modeling Assistant for Research and TrainingSimple,

Manageable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely

Regarding Mager's work, R. John Howe (2011) in a TrDev-L post "Re:
Why Move to Learning Objectives? And related historical minutiae. . .
. " wrote:

"Mager seemed to be dealing in his "Preparing Instructional
Objectives" with general education not necessarily the work place
(although some of his examples are clearly taken from jobs e.g.
troubleshooting in electronics; I think "Preparing Instructional
Objectives" originally arose in what is called in the U.S. the
"industrial arts" part of the high school curriculum).

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
       Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
< rrh...@earthlink.net >
< http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake >
< http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sd >