I developed a class, based on faculty requests, called Scientific Foundations
of Psych. I've posted about this class before as it pertains to prepping our
majors for our research methods sequence. This was the central reason faculty
wanted the class. I jumped into it (owning it) because I wanted to teach
critical thinking, and deal with the misconceptions and pseudosciences
surrounding Psych.
    I am ready to "dis-own" it for a variety of reasons, but the class does
seem to be achieving our objectives, and it was a kick to develop.  It is  NOT
geared to general learning about the field, career info, and such, but does end
up challenging many misconceptions students have about becoming little Dr.
Phils. I use Stanovich's Getting Straight About Psych, plus many handouts of my
own. We start with the "Freud problem" regarding pop-psych ideas of
Psychologists as clinical/counselors, and then go on to cover many
misconceptions regarding science, and particularly psych science. The toughest
part for students is to really learn what was presented in the first or second
chapters of their Gen. Psych texts but usually glossed over and not brought up
much further....basic research methods, with emphasis on correl. and
experimental methods.  I go much deeper and add a few more ideas, as half the
class are taking our stats class at same time, and all will be taking our
Experimental Psych class after.  They complete a three part Review paper...A:
assigned topic, library search for three research studies, next B: a review of
these three articles to identify hypotheses, basic method, operationalization,
controls and results, and then C:  summary of their articles and idea for
further research.
    The students ( who survive to the end) appear to have fewer misconceptions
and are better prepped for the Research methods class that comes next.  A few
do drop and realize a non-science, non-research field may be more of interest.
Many learn their study skills are poor, but they blame me for being hard-ass,
and just seek out easier instructors,  but I was hoping to also help them
improve their study skills, so that we might increase the quality of graduating
majors.  Yes, this is a bit too much to expect for one class, but I can dream
;-). There is a price to be paid for teaching such a demanding class, and it
may not be wise for new, non-tenured faculty to undertake.
   I am burnt out teaching the class, tired of the nasty student comments from
a small handful, tired of being seen as too tough because I ask them to
demonstrate proficiency, tired of having to challenge their myths and love of
pseudoscintific psych, and am currently trying to get others to teach it so
students can have some variety of faculty.  On the plus side, I love following
student progress after this class, seeing them do quality projects, and
generally becoming  better students in their later classes.
   Actually, I would love NOW  to do a class that just befriends students, and
gently exposes them to the different fields of Psych, and where we can gently
discuss their goals and misconceptions, watch some fun videos, engage in fun
activities to explore what some Psychologists do,  and where I assess them in
terms of their involvement and "effort" and do not have to worry or be at all
concerned about whether they learned a damn thing!!!  :-)

G.L. (Gary) Peterson,Ph.D
Psychology@SVSU

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=9600
or send a blank email to