The following paper claims to have located socially induced memory
errors in brain substrates as revealed by brain imaging:

"Following the Crowd: Brain Substrates of Long-Term Memory Conformity"
Micah Edelson, Tali Sharot, Raymond J. Dolan, Yadin Dudai

http://www.weizmann.ac.il/neurobiology/labs/dudai/uploads/files/Science-2011-Edelson-108-11.pdf

Human memory is strikingly susceptible to social influences, yet we
know little about the underlying mechanisms. We examined how socially
induced memory errors are generated in the brain by studying the memory
of individuals exposed to recollections of others. Participants
exhibited a strong tendency to conform to erroneous recollections of
the group, producing both long-lasting and temporary errors, even when
their initial memory was strong and accurate. Functional brain imaging
revealed that social influence modified the neuronal representation of
memory. Specifically, a particular brain signature of enhanced amygdala
activity and enhanced amygdala-hippocampus connectivity predicted
long-lasting but not temporary memory alterations. Our findings reveal
how social manipulation can alter memory and extend the known functions
of the amygdala to encompass socially mediated memory distortions.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com