Stephen Black writes:
>Mitt Romney claimed to be present at and remember a public
>parade in Detroit which took place nine months before he was
>born. OK, unless it was a fetal memory, a very early one.
>http://snipurl.com/22dos24

Whether it was a false memory or "just more political BS" as suggested
by Paul Brandon, people's claims about recalling such-and-such from the
past are usually are taken at face value (at least I have found this to
be the case over the years from reading newspapers and books). Most
people (including otherwise well educated folk) have little idea of the
malleability of memory. Leaving aside the more well known work in this
field by psychologists (e.g., in *Memory Observed*, co-edited by the
recently deceased Ulric Neisser), I recall a passage in a book I came
across a few years ago. In his 1957 book *Memory* (no explanatory
subtitles in those days :-) ), I. M. L. Hunter reports an experiment
undertaken by two Cambridge psychologists who, without the knowledge of
the participants, recorded a meeting of the Cambridge Psychological
Society. Two weeks later they asked all who had attended to write down
everything they could recall of the meeting. They found that some 42
percent of the recalled points were substantially incorrect, including
happenings which had never taken place at all: "In short, what was
recalled was not only fragmentary, but also distorted, and much was
recalled which, in fact, had never happened" (Hunter 1957, Penguin
Books, pp. 160-161.)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

A good classroom example (a nod to the relevancy issue):

Mitt Romney claimed to be present at and remember a public parade in
Detroit which took place nine months before he was born. OK, unless
it was a fetal memory, a very early one.

http://snipurl.com/22dos24

I note with modest pride that it was a Canadian newspaper which
ferreted this out.

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
e-mail:  sblack at ubishops.ca

A false memory, or just more political BS?

On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:05 AM, <sbl...@ubishops.ca>
 <sbl...@ubishops.ca> wrote:

> A good classroom example (a nod to the relevancy issue):
>
> Mitt Romney claimed to be present at and remember a public parade in
> Detroit which took place nine months before he was born. OK, unless
> it was a fetal memory, a very early one.
>
> http://snipurl.com/22dos24
>
> I note with modest pride that it was a Canadian newspaper which
> ferreted this out.
>
> Stephen

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology