From: "Michael Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)"
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Cc: "Michael Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:43:07 PM
Subject: [tips] Brain Damage Makes You More Spiritual?

I came a across an article on the Science News website that seems to
claim that (a) a specific brain area is associated with "spirituality" and
(b) damage to this area increased one's spirituality as defined by a
a measure of Self-Transcendence (ST). Quoting from the article:

|The group found that selective damage to the left and right posterior
|parietal regions induced a specific increase in ST. "Our symptom-lesion
|mapping study is the first demonstration of a causative link between
|brain functioning and ST," offers Dr. Urgesi. "Damage to posterior
|parietal areas induced unusually fast changes of a stable personality
|dimension related to transcendental self-referential awareness. Thus,
|dysfunctional parietal neural activity may underpin altered spiritual
|and religious attitudes and behaviors."

For more, see:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100210124757.htm

Well, I've always wondered if there was something wrong with "spiritual"
people but....

In other news, there appears to be no "God Spot" in the brain (I
didn't even know that folks were looking for one). See:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120419091223.htm

Will the wonders of neuroscience ever cease?

You are currently subscribed to tips as: ku...@mail.plymouth.edu.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13338.f659d005276678c0696b7f6beda66454&n=T&l=tips&o=17385

or send a blank email to