From: Christopher Green [mailto:chri...@yorku.ca]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 10:38 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] GOP Rep Daniel Webster Bashes Census Survey As "Random"
Rather Than "Scientific"

It is sad to see the NYT fall into the old "tell both sides" scheme that has
been exploited by political operatives so skillfully for the past couple of
decades on issues like evolution and climate change. Here, the Times writes:
"In fact, the randomness of the survey is precisely what makes the survey
scientific, statistical experts say." The last three words are critical, making
it seem like there's a serious debate about that, and encouraging readers to
think that there is a "side" they can take (usually depending on what
conclusion they favor at the outset). A decade ago, we foolishly thought that
these were just ill-informed politicians who would back down after things had
been  explained to them by those who spend their lives and careers figuring
this stuff out -- scientists. By now, however, it is clear that it is
calculated political strategy that like-minded ground-troops will rally around,
encouraged by the usual media sources, creating a fake public debate that
successfully distracts from the actual issue. Until mainstream news
organizations stop hobbling themselves with the "theater of objectivity" (not
to be confused with the real thing) and are willing to straightforwardly call a
diamond a diamond, this political tactic will be used again and again until no
one knows what is what anymore.

Chris
---
Christopher D. Green