We get a campus package that includes Base, Advanced Stats (especially for
repeated-measures) and the Regression package.  It's accessible anywhere on
campus; this year it cost us a little over $9k.  Not cheap, but considering how
it continues to be popular in grad programs, we'll keep (trying) to buy it.
Also, there are a few of us on campus who do research, and it's nice to have
it.  Used to be that we could get individual copies for something like $250,
but I'm not sure about that anymore.

When IBM first acquired it, it seemed that they were focusing on business
applications rather than, umm, social science applications.  This past year,
however, they seem to have realized that a big chunk of their business was
coming from universities, and they've developed some reasonably-priced campus
packages.  (Of course, your definition of "reasonable" may be different than
mine...)

I get feedback from our grads, and as long as they continue to tell me that
they have SPSS available to them in grad school, we'll keep going with it.  As
that changes, though, we'll consider something different.

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Behavioral and Health Sciences
College of Arts & Sciences
Baker University