In responseto the article in the Guardian
cited byChris Green,

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/22/google-autocomplete-un-women-ad-discrimination-algorithms
Rick Fromanwrote:

>Idon't begrudge someone advertising for a good cause to use a current trend
>like Google autocomplete to make a dramatic adthat makes a good point but
>I don't think it is a sociological IAT (or even aRorschach).

I triedputting in the three phrases and checking the first hundred or so items
foreach, and I found only a very tiny number of sexist responses. An
illustrationof the doubtfulness of the "methodology" is that under "womenshould
not drive" was a Daily Mail article deriding a Saudi Sheikh sayingwomen
shouldn't drive because it would damage their ovaries. Checking "womenshould
stay at home", almost all the items quoted it only to criticise it,or discuss
the issue of whether it is best for women with young children to stay at home,
and so on.

There's animportant case to be made here, but I'm not happy about dubious
methodologiesbeing used to promote a good cause (for me it comes close to
"lying fortruth").

As Rickimplies, this is not of course to deny the need for such a UN campaign,
thoughI suspect that the kinds of sexism widelyaccepted in different parts of
the world varies considerably, and (dare Isay it) varies to some degree in
Western and Northern Europe compared to theUnited States.

To make amore general (and serious) point in relation to surveys or self-styled
studies on a varietyof social issues, I find it depressing that newspapers (and
blogs) that publicisethe results almost never check the methodology to see how
solid the conclusionsare.
And while I'm at it, I wish sub-editors (andoccasionally journalists) would not
write "our" and "we" asif virtually all of us have such attitudes, as in the
Guardian's headline "Google'sautocomplete spells out our darkest thoughts".
Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

rfro...@jbu.edu <rfro...@jbu.edu>

RE: Google autocomplete & psychology

Mon, 4 Nov 2013 16:51:59 -0600

I think Google autocomplete is fairlyunreplicable in many cases. I don't doubt
that putting "women should"into a Google search in Dubai might turn upthose
suggestions (the UN ad agency was in Dubai), but I wasn't able to replicate
ithere.

I don't begrudge someone advertising for a goodcause to use a current trend
like Google autocomplete to make a dramatic adthat makes a good point but I
don't think it is a sociological IAT (or even aRorschach).

When I put in "women", mine says:
women seeking men
women of faith
women living well
women of the bible

When you put in "women should", itstarts to go negative. And what would you
expect? What sentence that starts outsaying that a whole class of humanity
"should" or"shouldn't" do anything is going to end well?
There was an interesting non-disclaimer disclaimerin the Guardian article: "The
world as seen through the lens ofautocomplete is a weird and not always
wonderful place. It's a place whereDavid Cameron "is a lizard", Obama is "a
Muslim", Putin isa "badass" and Miley Cyrus, predictably, is "still
twerking".But despite the suggestions that have been skewed by a popular
blogpost or memeand are clearly bonkers, there is still much to be gleaned from
them about ourdeep-seated discriminations." Really? Much to be gleaned? I doubt
it.

For "psychology is", I got
psychology is
psychology is defined as
psychology is the study of
psychology is best defined as
psychology is not a science

Certainly there are some people who don'tbelieve it is a science but I don't
think 1/4 autocomplete recommendations isvery disheartening. I would think
someone was tampering with it if there wasnothing negative at all.

Rick
Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3519
John Brown University
2000 W. University  Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu
(479) 524-7295
http://bit.ly/DrFroman

Christopher Green <chri...@yorku.ca>

Google autocomplete & psychology

Mon, 4 Nov 2013 17:04:53 -0500

You may have seen, recently, that it has become a kind of informal method for
discovering popular social trends to enter the beginning of a sentence into a
Google search box and see how the engine completes the expression. The idea is
that Google will come up with the most likely completions based on its
"knowledge" of what people generally intend when they start a search expression.

This method was used very effectively in an ad campaign by UN Women a few weeks
ago when they entered phrases like "women should" and "women need to" and got
horrible completions like "stay at home," "be slaves," and "be in the kitchen."
Here's a Guardian article about that experiment.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/22/google-autocomplete-un-women-ad-discrimination-algorithms
 So, I decided to try the same thing with "psychology is". You should give it
whirl. I don't think you'll find the results to be all that surprising, but
they
are a bit disheartening nevertheless.
 Regards,
Chris