Well, Skinner's pigeons did not fly by themselves, but they were trained to
peck at outlines of ships so as to guide missiles to their target during WWII
... the military did not support "Project Pigeon" wholeheartedly though Skinner
claimed it would have worked. Each nose cone had three pigeons, and majority
vote ruled (in case one pigeon got nervous-in-the-service to use theold
phrase). The project was cancelled in 1944, but inspired Project Orcon (for
organic control) which was later replaced by electronic guidance systems.

If people have not read Skinner's account of this project, it is worth the
trouble. He is intelligent, witty, irreverent, and insightful. A contrast to
our tendency to be overly cautious in our hypotheses and conclusions. btw,
worth reading about his daughter's crib project as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

John W. Kulig, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Coordinator, Psychology Honors