From: "Ken Steele" <steel...@appstate.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)"
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 5:23:52 PM
Subject: Re: [tips] Psychology and Politics

On 3/10/2014 3:26 PM, John Kulig wrote:

> If I had 10 seconds to size up a person, I'd ask which is more
> important: liberty or equality? I go with equality - i.e.
> Civilization and its Discontents.
>
> ==========================
> John W. Kulig, Ph.D.
> Professor of Psychology
> Coordinator, Psychology Honors
> Plymouth State University
> Plymouth NH 03264
> ==========================

Hi John:

How about equality vs. equal opportunity?

One of the problems I have with such contrasts is that nuances
and context are missing. Are equality and equal opportunity
synonyms, kissing cousins, or apples and oranges? I think that
many such forced which-side-of-the-fence questions are not going
to lead us in a useful direction.

[It was Chris Greene who pointed out that our American framing of
political questions does not represent the rest of the academic
world.]

Me? I have just filled up a big bowl of popcorn to watch how the
Republicans deal with how the Rand Paul wing (opposed to Federal
government control of many social issues) vs. the Mike Huckabee
wing (maintain tradional "Christian values" for social issues)
works out at the Republican polls.

Ken

PS - And the quotes do indicate that many Christians I know would
not agree with Huckabee's list.

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D. steel...@appstate.edu
Professor
Department of Psychology http://www.psych.appstate.edu