Mike

I am not sure I get the point about g being an artifact of factor analysis. I
realize we can name factors anything we wish. The loadings correlate the
sub-tests with the hypothetical/latent variable that we call factor I, II etc
.... I also know that there are different methods of factor analysis, and we
can get different results, but if guided by theory/common sense and the result
is a construct that succinctly summarizes a broad array of empirical findings,
then I do not see the artifact.

I do know that a factor will emerge when it predicts differences . So (loosely
stealing an example from Cronbach/ the pencil is my example) ... a sub-test of
vocabulary and a sub-test of pencil sharpening ability will not see a common
factor emerge with homogeneous Ss, even though there is a skill common to both
- willingness to sit and follow directions. But if we had a more heterogeneous
sample of people from very different cultures, a common factor of "willingness"
would emerge to predict differences. In the later example, the "willingness"
would be a useful construct, label it what you will. As I think about the
neurological underpinnings (jumping from one issue to another) it may be the
case that there are numerous brain functions common to all tasks, or maybe only
some tasks. Like factor analysis, do they predict differences in the population
we get our samples from?

And - jumping again - I suspect Mike and I are in a small group who celebrate
Greek Passover/Easter given his expertise in that area (add our list to the
cross-cultural dudes on tips. UNLESS he is simply an expert in very diverse
fields - OMG! is that g????). Whatever the case, have a fruitful equinox
holiday season!

John W. Kulig, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Coordinator, Psychology Honors