My son and I were having a little "argument" the other day.  As is typical with
teenagers, he didn't think he convinced me and I didn't think I convinced him.
Anyway, the issue had to do with those traffic intersections that use what are
called "demand-actuated" traffic signals

He's convinced that these wires are used just about everywhere (I think they're
not) so if you drive up to a red light and stop and you wait a long time, you
must be too far away from these wires.  How do you know the wires are there?
Well, you simply move closer to the light and suddenly it turns green!  I tried
to impress upon him that the more likely scenario is that there are no such
wires under the ground at most intersections and that the reason the light
appears to turn green when you creep up closer to it is that more time has
passed and the timer that actually controls the light is now closer to changing
the light green.  Also, I mentioned that you probably don't notice or remember
the times when you creep up slowly to the light and it does NOT turn green.
You probably dismiss those times as simply a time either when a) the wires are
broke, b) your car is still not close enough to the wires.  This last excuse
sounds like a "you didn't believe hard enough" explanation for psychic
phenomenon.  Anyway, I'm going to discuss this in class this week as an example
of confirmation bias.

Michael

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com