From: Annette Taylor [mailto:tay...@sandiego.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2015 7:05 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Teaching Abroad

Several people have asked me backchannel to post a bit about teaching in India.

I have not gotten around to it because basically I am always too overwhelmed by
just about everything to get around to posting something.

So I thought I'd post a bit about Euro/American-centrism in teaching and
textbooks.

First of all, all of my students are fluent in English--most consider
themselves native English speakers as they spoke English at home growing up and
as they tell me, "we think in English!" it is NOT a second language! And they
speak with that wonderfully melodic Indian English :)  But, of course, they are
all equally fluent in Hindi.

Because I'm always a bit rushed (I'd like to take a walk in that short window
of time each day between dusk and dark, hot and chilly, too smoky/polluted and
sort of OK to at least walk in) this will be brief.

Two things that stuck out this week in my cognitive class:
(1) talking about semantic networks--hierarchical and networks models: my
textbook, an American textbook as they are no Indian cognitive psychology
textbooks that are quite as comprehensive as the US ones, used a common US
example: the robin. A robin is a bird. A robin has a red breast. A robin lays
small blue eggs, etc. The students had no clue what a robin is. They had no
idea if it was true or false that it has a red breast or lays small blue eggs.
We defaulted to crows and pigeons in our discussions. My exam item I just wrote
is about crows :)

(2) Problem solving: Duncker's candle problem. I have a text-associated image
of a box of matches, a box of candles, a box of tacks, scotch tape, a thimble.
I put it up and asked "What can we toss aside?" Of course the thimble and the
tacks! HUH? you might say? Well, their only experience with modern construction
is that the walls are all made of solid concrete. How are you going to stick a
tack into solid concrete? The tape will have to do, even if it keeps coming
away from the weight of the candle. (Heard among students exiting, "stupid
problem these people came with!".....)

And that, boys and girls, is but a teensy weensy glimpse into the Euro/American
centric world of textbook publishing and teaching :)

I am off for my quick walk while I still can catch that narrow window! Oh drat!
just got bitten by mosquitoes again! Odomos to the rescue!

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Visiting Professor,
Ashoka University, Delhi, India