I've read the book itself, as well as several reviews and various documents
about the controversy. All in preparation for writing a short piece for
Skeptical Inquirer about the controversy spurred by the publication of an
excerpt in the NY Times.

As far as the book is concerned, I strongly recommend it. It is very well
written, and, although the book has a number of flaws, Dittrich had access
to many obscure sources. I learned a lot.

1. Yes, he should have footnoted. The book is a blend of memoir and serious
biography. In many cases, the source is obvious because he engaged in first
person interviews, but he also used various archives, newspapers, and
journal articles. So he should have footnoted.

2. Dittrich's personal connection to the story is both a blessing and a
curse. He was remarkably objective much of the time, but his obvious
connection to the story al

--
stuartvyse.com