As a reviewer, I want to know if the interpretation of the results makes
any sense (or is even consistent with the reported findings). I could not
offer sound judgment about publication merit based on the proposed design
alone.

I've seen papers in which the findings get distorted in any variety of
ways. The design might be solid but the author might over-interpret the
results (either positive or negative).

By analogy, consider how we review a thesis or dissertation proposal. We
don't award degrees based on the quality of the proposed design. We make
these judgments based on the quality of the data analysis, how the
researcher coped with unexpected obstacles in the implementation of the
design and/or the collection of data (often revealed only in the
preliminary analysis), and the soundness of the conclusions drawn.

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director
Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
BLDG 53 Suite 201
University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL  32514

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 (direct) or  473-7435 (CUTLA)

csta...@uwf.edu

CUTLA Web Site: http://uwf.edu/offices/cutla/ <http://uwf.edu/cutla/>

---
To unsubscribe click here: