I have been spending some time on Linkedin (got sucked in
because of former students sending me invites) and though I
have tried to keep contacts on a professional level, there are
some folks that one might characterize as "interesting" (as in
the old Chinese saying "May you live in interesting times).
One such person is Gad Saad who seems to have too much
time on his hands and  seems to be heavy into self-promotion.
There is even a Wikipedia entry on him; see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gad_Saad
The best I can figure out is that he started out in Canadian
colleges and went on get a Ph.D. at Cornell under someone named
Edward Russo; see: (NOTE: I'm not saying anything about that photo)
https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Faculty-And-Research/Profile?id=jer9
and went on to some sort of position at Concordia (seems to be an
endowed chair which always raises questions).

Looking at his publications on scholar.google.com it appears that
early on he seemed to be a more or less traditional cognitive
psychologist (even making some presentation a the meetings of
the Society for Computers in Psychology which historical meets
before the Psychonomics meeting; my mentor Doris Aaronson
was involved in SCiP) but somewhere along they way he appears
to have gone off the rails, focusing on evolutionary psychology and
consumer psychology (not necessarily bad things but raises
certain issues). Not as bad as, say, publishing article in the journal
"Intelligence". ;-)

These days he seems to be more involved in doing podcasts (thank
God these things will die out soon), making appearances on TV
shows, and making weird posts to Linkedin.  Apparently trying to
become a pop psychologist which always pays better than being
an academic. But for some reason he reminds of the comedian
Marc Maron, perhaps best known for his recent TV series on IFC
(see his Wiki entry) except Saad is not as funny a Maron.

So, what's is the story about Saad from Canadians who are
familiar with him?  You can contact me off-list if you like but
I would appreciate a public discussion if possible.

Send me something.

P.S. It is "interesting" (see definition above) to be living in the
same city as Voldemort and all of the protests (some by students
from NYU starting at Washington Square Park and moving uptown).
To get some idea of how "popular" Voldemort is in Manhattan, see
the following which give a map of voting patterns in Manhattan at
some surrounding areas but with an emphasis on the Lower
East Side:
http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/2016/11/heres-how-many-voters-picked-trump-on-the-lower-east-side.html
I'm still trying to figure out who the 7% in the East Village who
voted to Voldemort.

.P.P.S Think that NYU is a bastion of "Liberal PC Hellfire"?
You are not alone as one of out faculty expressed these ideas
though on Twitter under the pseudonym "Deplorable Professor".
Michael Rectenwald; a op-ed he wrote for the Washington Post
can be accessed here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/03/campus-pc-culture-is-so-rampant-that-nyu-is-paying-to-silence-me/?utm_term=.c94cd6997e83
NOTE: Rectenwald at first implied he was forced to take a leave
from NYU but it turns out that he had requested a leave -- see
the updated Editor Note at the bottom of the WaPo piece and:
https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2016/november/email-correspondence-between-professor-michael-rectenwald-and-de.html
So, what is the current status of the self-righteous anti-PC faculty
member?  He got a promotion; see:
http://nypost.com/2016/11/13/nyu-awards-promotion-and-full-time-gig-to-deplorable-professor/
Damn!  Sound like being anti-PC really pays off! ;-)

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=49914
or send a blank email to
leave-49914-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu