Thanks to Joan and Gerald and Bob!

I am definitely going to check out the book Bob recommended.

As you may or may not know about using NOBA and other OERs: you can mix and
match without violating...anything! So I have been combining SEVERAL OERs
in my intro class now as well as under properly allowed copyright, using
LESS THAN ONE CHAPTER of any textbook as long as you offer it behind a fire
wall with the express intent of using it ONLY for your class and no more
than LESS THAN ONE CHAPTER for any given text.

Thus, this semester I used LESS THEN WHOLE CHAPTER  from several intro
texts. I prefer not to advertise here. But some of the "big sellers" did
not even make a single chapter for me!

Another chapter to be careful with is Social BTW. Find and read some of the
critiques by Griggs - the minimization  and white washing of Milgram that
progressed historically; the focus on only ONE dramatic finding from the
genuine body of work by Asch (in this case it was not Asch's doing) and a
resounding critique of Zimbardo's prison study and it's shortcoming and why
we should NOT extrapolate.

I will happily share my readings off list. I also supplement with MANY
articles. My focus is on debunking myths so I have readings for most of the
popular ones that are quite accessible for students, for example a nice
reading by Willingham on Learning Styles; a nice  reading on the Mozart
effect, and so on.

In an ideal world I would use the entire books from the series that
Lilienfeld's 50 myths is in but in reality students can't read all of those
books and the core readings in the field.

And, BTW, I am NOT AT ALL enamoured of the NOBA readings; I have used about
6-8 of them this year but hesitantly. For example, I used the Affective
Neuroscience chapter for emotion, but I"m not crazy about over-relying on
neuroscience. I did like their point about shared brain structures and
circuits with shared but also unique structures that seem to underlie
different emotions, etc. The idea that no brain area is unique identified
with any emotion (anyone remember the amygdala from the 1970's???)

Annette

From: "Joan Warmbold" <jwarm...@oakton.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 12:18:56 -0600 (CST)

Annette and Gerald,

I couldn't agree more with you both, which is why I never teach theories
of personality in my psychology 101 course--or teach the course itself.
Same for emotions.  Are you required to follow the standard content found
in our textbooks or can you develop your own course content based on
relatively recent and far more sound scientific principles?

For most Psychology 101 students, this is the only course they will take
within our field.  After teaching this course for over 10 years, I gained
the confidence to limit my focus on what is scientifically valid and of
real use to my students and I tell my students such from the get-go.  We
can't depend on our textbooks to keep up-to-date as clearly their goal is
to please as many potential consumers as possible which apparently
translates into maintaining the status quo.

I'm soon going with NOBA so will have the opportunity to have more input
into the content of my Psych 101 text.  Two prime modifications will be to
include a section on epigenetics, a fascinating and very relevant field
for understanding behavior that few if any texts include, as well as very
applied section on how principles of psychology provide advice for
developing meaningful relationships and effective parenting strategies.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences