Hi Miguel:

Thanks for posting the url.  The issue reminds me of a conversation I had about
2 weeks ago at the end of a class.  A student came up to me after class and
said that she had to ask me an important question.  She had an earnest look on
her face, and the class had been on auditory physiology and deafness.  I
thought the question would be about her or her parents/grandparents’ hearing
issues.  Here was her question:

“One space or two”?

I laughed heartily and said I was a two-space guy.  She then proceeded to tell
me about her issue.  She was a writer and had been using the two-space rule all
of her life.  But she was taking a psychology course currently and being told
(graded down) for not using the 1-space rule.  I assured her that I had never
heard of a manuscript being rejected because the writer was not in compliance
with the journal’s policy on one space or two spaces after a period.

At that moment, two more undergraduates entered into the discussion about the
merits of the 1-space vs. 2-space rule.  There was much passion about the
issue.  I could have been listening to a Red Sox vs. Yankees discussion in a
bar.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
<mailto:steel...@appstate.edu>
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu
<http://www.psych.appstate.edu/>
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA

> On May 5, 2018, at 1:16 PM, Miguel Roig <ro...@stjohns.edu> wrote:
>
> The APA Manual states two spaces are better than one. What does the research
> say?  Check it out:
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.efbf00d80b3e

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=52382
or send a blank email to