conditioning as the "ACQUISITION OF A NEW STIMULUS--RESPONSE
ASSOCIATION." This is the most accurate definition as clearly a new
reflex has not been learned but, instead, an inborn reflex has been
conditioned to be elicited by a new stimulus event.

I developed a new class exercise to accommodate this new definition and
attached a copy for those who might be interested. If it doesn't come
through, feel free to ask for a copy--and feedback always welcomed.

Joan

On 2018-10-07 2:39 pm, Miguel Roig wrote:

> Ken, I admit to have always (and I mean always) understood and explained
> reflexes using Hall's definition and I usually cover the topic in the
> chapters of development and also in the chapter of learning/conditioning,
> especially with respect to distinguishing reflexes from fixed action
> patterns. I suppose that such a simplistic definition may be, arguably,
> acceptable and even desirable in an introductory textbook but perhaps not for
> a more advanced learning course (I have not taught the latter in decades!).
> If, as you point out, this confusion still exists in the textbook literature,
> especially in learning texts, and no one has clarified it in recent years, I
> would think that an essay on the subject targeted to, say, Teaching of
> Psychology (ToP) would be welcomed and might even lead to desired changes in
> how authors address this important concept. Then, again, as the cases of
> Kitty Genovese and of Little Albert have shown over the years, some textbook
> authors don't seem to r
 ead ToP
or similarly relevant literature!

> And I have now reached my quota of posts for today. Sigh ...
>
> Miguel

 rned
behavior, even if its strength lies in it being grounded on an earlier reflex
or something to that effect?  I would appreciate any clarification on this.

> [...]
>> those who are already aware of the current state of academic publishing. You
>> can check it out for free at: https://paywallthemovie.com/.
>>
>> Miguel
>>
>> This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material
>> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution
>> or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
>> recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the
>> sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.
>>
>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to tips as:
>> steel...@appstate.edu<mailto:steel...@appstate.edu>.
>> To unsubscribe click here:
>> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13524.94845a3ed9806f1cef14973830dd8c39&n=T&l=tips&o=52866
>> or send a blank email to
>> leave-52866-13524.94845a3ed9806f1cef14973830dd8...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-52866-13524.94845a3ed9806f1cef14973830dd8...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
>>
>> ---
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to tips as:
>> ro...@stjohns.edu<mailto:ro...@stjohns.edu>.
>>
>> To unsubscribe click here:
>> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=3343621.18283a1227eb73d1ce74b7f7163cf851&n=T&l=tips&o=52867
>>
>> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>>
>> or send a blank email to
>> leave-52867-3343621.18283a1227eb73d1ce74b7f7163cf...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-52867-3343621.18283a1227eb73d1ce74b7f7163cf...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
>>
>> This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material
>> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution
>> or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
>> recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the
>> sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.
>>
>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to tips as: steel...@appstate.edu.
>> To unsubscribe click here:
>> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13524.94845a3ed9806f1cef14973830dd8c39&n=T&l=tips&o=52868
>> or send a blank email to
>> leave-52868-13524.94845a3ed9806f1cef14973830dd8...@fsulist.frostburg.edu
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: ro...@stjohns.edu.
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=3343621.18283a1227eb73d1ce74b7f7163cf851&n=T&l=tips&o=52869
> or send a blank email to
> leave-52869-3343621.18283a1227eb73d1ce74b7f7163cf...@fsulist.frostburg.edu
> This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material
> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution
> or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the
> sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=52873
or send a blank email to
leave-52873-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu