MegaZone wrote:
> You might have better luck with a real cable box instead of the DTA. Okay, I'll keep that one in mind. > Sounds like one of three things: > 1. The TiVo is sending the IR commands too fast, so the DTA isn't > ready for the next digit and misses it. > 2. The TiVo is sending the IR commands too slow, and the DTA is timing > out and just acting on the first digit before it sees the next one. > 3. There is something in the environment causing IR interference - > another IR source (like someone using a remote at the same time), a > light fixture which happens to be emitting IR at the right/wrong > wavelength, etc. > > For 1 & 2, check the settings in the TiVo. It has been a while since > I messed with IR settings on a TiVo, but there used to be an option > for slow/medium/fast IR sending, as well as sending an 'Enter' > command, or not, etc. If it still has those settings I'd try a > different speed, and personally I tend to turn the 'Enter' on unless > it causes a problem, it speeds up channel changes on some STBs. There does not seem to be any setting for speed of IR commands being sent. They do ask if you change to channel 5 by entering 5, 05, or 005. Of course, I don't know because I've never used the Comcast equipment before, but I can experiment. Yes, they do ask if you have to push ENTER or not. From what I've seen, you CAN push ENTER but it's not mandatory. However, I will take your advise and see what happens when using ENTER. > For #3, you can try building an IR tent/fort. Basically that means > putting somethign dark, and NOT translucent to IR, over the front of > the box so only the signal from the blasters hits it and nothing in > the environment. Good idea. I've installed a custom-cut toilet paper roll to shield it from outside signals. So for it SEEMS to be working, but time will tell. >> Is there a magic way to tell when you have the blasters positioned >> correctly? > > Use a flashlight shined into the front of the DTA to see through the > plastic faceplate. You should be able to see the IR receiver so you > know exactly where to position the IR emitters. Finding the sensors is not a problem, I can see them. The instructions say to put them one to 1.5 inches away, and the arms aren't quite long enough, but I'm doing the best I can. >> And I don't suppose ... I could not be lucky enough ... it is possible >> to use a cable with little tiny jacks on both ends, and have the TiVo >> IR OUT plug directly into the DTA IR IN and have it work properly? > > Almost definitely not. If the DTA really does have an IR *IN* port > (many devices have an IR *OUT* port, not many have IN), then *maybe*. > If it really does accept the same IR commands over wire then the TiVo > may not care. I suppose you can try. The DTA comes with a remote sensor that can be installed on the front of your equipment cabinet if you don't want to look at the Comcast box and the green LED all the time. This remote sensor plugs into the back of the DTA box. The TiVo instructions suggest that using these remote sensors may be more effective than using the sensor on the front of the DTA box. Thanks for your comments and suggestions; I'll keep trying. Dave Schultheis San Jose -- dave6592 [at] accesscom [dot] com - http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592 Dave Schultheis, San José, Silicon Valley, Santa Clara County, CA, USA
