I seem to be having a perfect storm of equipment and service failures lately
:-(
My landline is having some serious noise issues such that my two HDVR2s
cannot dial in ("Service Connection" fails). Since it is not clear whether
the problem is in the home wiring (meaning an expensive service call), and
we barely use the landline anyway, I am planning on ditching the landline
and going with Vonage (we already have Vonage).
The DirecTiVos cannot connect via Vonage (I can see the number being dialled
on the Vonage adapter, but the connection fails). Vonage's FAQ says if this
happens I need to upgrade my DVR (wish I could).
I have the 6.4a firmware on the DirecTiVos. Is there a (fairly easy) way I
can either enable the USB port and use a WiFi adapter, or make a change to
the dial string used so that Vonage can handle it? I'm fine telnetting in
over the serial port and running UNIX/Linux commands infrequently, but I
really don't want to be rebuilding kernels every time DirecTV pushes a
firmware update.
I really don't want to give up the DirecTiVos, but they are going to run out
of guide data in about a week and then my family will kill me. If only
DirecTV would hurry up and follow through with their re-partnership with
TiVo.
Thanks ... Mike
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]