No its not at all a bad idea to combine tkinter with asyncio. Asyncio
is a good thing to use whenever you have an  I/O bound task which is
likely to take too much time and interfere with the main loop.

asyncio uses a single-threaded approach and starts an event loop using
a call to asyncio.get_event_loop(). This loop switches tasks at
optimal times. Most often this switching occurs when the program
experiences I/O blocking, but asyncio can also be used to handle event
driven code or to schedule a code to run at a specific future time.
This is what makes it extremely useful for handling real-time updates
where messages arrive at unpredictable times.

Further Asyncio is much more scalable than threading which is often
slow and has limitations on the amount of context switching that can
be done. Also with multiple threads - it is difficult to ensure
thread-safety. (read about race conditions).