AIUI, OpenSSL's default highest preference curve is sect571r1 (aka B-571). See [1] and [2].

The result of calling OpenSSL's recommended SSL_CTX_set_ecdh_auto(ctx, 1) function is that "the highest preference curve is automatically used for ECDH temporary keys used during key exchange." [3]

And sure enough, when my SSL scanner (an OpenSSL-based client) scans itself (an httpd/mod_ssl/OpenSSL-based server) [4], it reports that sect571r1 is used. I haven't explicitly configured it to use this curve. In fact, I would reconfigure it to use secp256r1 if I could find a mod_ssl directive that would let me do that.

So I'm wondering if most people using sect571r1 are using it simply because it's a default setting that they can't change, not because they have a particularly strong desire to use it.

+1 to dropping sect571r1 and to Tony's suggestion of further trimming the curve list.

[1] https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewClient.html?name=OpenSSL&version=1.0.1l

[2] https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewClient.html?name=OpenSSL&version=1.0.2

[3] http://openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_CTX_set_ecdh_auto.html

[4] https://sslanalyzer.comodoca.com/?url=sslanalyzer.comodoca.com