On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 04:03:28PM +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-09-24 at 15:27 +0300, Ilari Liusvaara wrote:
>
> > 4) For TLS PoP signatures, does it make sense to use HashEdDSA at
> > all?
> > Another way would to always use PureEdDSA and perform hash separtion
> > from TLS side (e.g. sign(privkey, hash_func_id|H(tbs_data))).
> > The certificate signatures are different matter tho, since CAs use
> > HSMs for signing (those HSMs tend to be rather beefy, but still).
>
> The problem with the PureEdDSA is that if you use a smart card or an
> HSM (both common for TLS), you have to transfer lots of data to them,
> something that may render it not really useful.

Well, hash_func_id|H(tbs_data) is 33-65 bytes for most nontrivial
hashes.

In TLS 1.3 Editor's copy, tbs_data itself is <150 bytes (but there
will be changes to merge certificate and its verify, which will
presumably enlarge that a bit, but still maybe <200 bytes).

I presume if TLS PoP can use HashEdDSA keys, then the TLS
HashAlgorithm MUST equal HashEdDSA prehash (and with current proposed
kinds, that would always be 6 => SHA-512).

> Also the PureEdDSA in most implementations it requires a new API for
> signing.

Oh yes, the old bad PKCS#11 signature API that takes online signing
model... Nevermind most of the time verification is offline (TLS is
actually one of the few exceptions).

-Ilari