On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 09:57 -1000, Brian Smith wrote:

> Therefore, I think we shouldn't add the rekeying mechanism as it is
> unnecessary and it adds too much complexity.

Any arbitrary limit for a TLS connection is almost guaranteed to cause
problems in the future. We cannot predict whether 2^x should be
sufficient for everyone, and I'm pretty sure this will prove to be a
terrible mistake. TLS is already being used for VPNs and transferring
larger amounts of data in long lived connections is a reality even
today. The rekey today happens using the reauthentication mechanism,
which has very complex semantics. Converting these to a simpler and
predictable rekey mechanism would be an improvement.

regards,
Nikos