> On 3 Apr 2016, at 8:44 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 3 April 2016 at 18:18, Peter Gutmann <pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>> I think the reason why there's no rationale is because there's no rational
>> explanation for lumping TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 in with the likes
>> of TLS_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_RC4_40_MD5.
>
> You evidently believe that a decision to move to AEAD only is
> irrational.  Others, myself included, do not.

Agree. TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 is fine if you also implement the
EtM extension that nobody did. OTOH everybody implemented AES-GCM, so that’s
better in the “yeah, we do that already” criterion. And as Dave McGrew’s draft
showed us, you can fit CBC + HMAC into an AEAD in case you really, really like
CBC and HMAC.

Yoav