Reviving this thread, I also think it would also be a good idea if 1.3 did
not stripping zeros from Z. Having this logic is rather dubious w.r.t.
treating secret data in constant-time. And as Bill Cox mentioned elsewhere
in this thread, this odd behavior has caused interoperability issues in the
past.

I don't think we have to be worried about inconsistency with 1.2 as, by the
time this happens, we will already know we're speaking 1.3. TLS 1.3 DHE is
already a very different beast from TLS 1.2 DHE. At this point, the only
thing they meaningfully share is they happen to use the same code points.

David