The market is moving to ARM Cortex Ms, in part because of their clean I/O
architecture and good SoC support. An M0 with integrated BLE chipset is easily
<1$ today at small scale. Extrapolate a few years and to volume of millions
between large companies rather than small startups.  Software like mBed OS and
6lowpan support helps too.

You or I might not want chips in our light bulbs, but some people will, and so
it is part of the Internet landscape we need to keep in mind.

Phil [sent from a phone]