On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:04:40PM -0500, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> On 09/09/2016 03:19 PM, Ilari Liusvaara wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 02:50:59PM -0500, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>
> >> I have a slight (i.e., unjustified) preference for doing
> >> ClientHello-with-block-of-zeros rather than prefix-of-ClientHello.  (Is
> >> there a reason to require this extension to be the last one with
> >> block-of-zeros?  Clearly there is for prefix-of-ClientHello.)
> > What about the case where client tries DHE-PSK and gets attempt
> > rejected because of missing group (or because address verification)?
> > 0-RTT is gone yes, but the PSK attempt isn't.
> >
> > What happens to the hash in this case?
> >

> I feel like I must be missing something, but I don't really understand
> the question.  (Sadly, waiting in the hope that someone else did
> understand and would respond didn't work.)  The 0-RTT failed, so the
> full handshake will have an actual Finished message, with a different
> hash calculated (including over the "hello_finished" extension).  The
> most plausible way I could interpret the question seems to be asking
> about the lack of Hash(resumption_context) in the 1-RTT Finished, but
> the security properties of that should be the same as for the
> hello_finished, so I'm still puzzled.
>
> Sorry for being dense...

I mean the following case (perhaps bit misconfigured server):

Client:
ClientHello(groups=23,24,29;PSK=foo;shares=23:bar,29:baz,...,finished=zot)
Server: HelloRetryRequest(group=24)
Client:
ClientHello(groups=23,24,29;PSK=foo;shares=23:bar,29:baz,24:quux,...,finished=???)

What is the finished data calculated over in the second case?

-Ilari