Yoav Nir <ynir.i...@gmail.com> writes:

>But if at some point all websites use HTTP-whatever-the-current-version-is
>then maybe browsers can remove support for HTTP/1.1 and then your
>embedded/SCADA/IoT devices won’t give us that rude shock.

Since HTTP/2 pretty much guarantees that SCADA/IoT/etc will keep using HTTP
1.1 forever, browsers are going to have to keep supporting both versions
forever.  Either that or there'll be custom forks of browsers sold as "SCADA
administration clients" or something similar.

>I honestly don’t think that having two protocols for these two radically
>different use cases is a bad outcome.

Neither do I.  The problem is that we're supposed to pretend that HTTP 1.1
will go away and everything will only talk HTTP/2, rather than accepting that
both will be with us for a long time, if not forever.

Peter.