On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Sean Turner <s...@sn3rd.com> wrote:

> Al,
>
> David Garrett has generated PR#634 (https://github.com/tlswg/
> tls13-spec/pull/634) to "explicitly [rename] the protocol version fields
> as IDs and defines a registry for all values, as they're really just
> arbitrary codepoints at this point.”  Note that there are no bits on the
> wire changes as result of this PR, but it does establish more process; if
> we’re publishing a new TLS version there’s already be lots of process this
> won’t be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.  We’d like to get a sense
> as to whether this PR should be merged - please provide any comments on
> merging this PR by Friday (10/14).

This PR involves two changes:

1. Attaching the term "ID" to version and defining new enum code points.
2. Creating a registry

The first of these seems obfuscatory and unhelpful. The second just seems
unnecessary. Other specifications other than new versions of TLS won't be
adding new code points, so I don't see how a registry helps.

I would prefer we not merge this PR.

-Ekr

J&S