On Monday, 17 October 2016 11:11:43 CEST Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 06:20 AM, Hubert Kario wrote:
> > On Friday, 14 October 2016 21:07:30 CEST Kyle Nekritz wrote:
> >> After PR #625 all alerts are required to be sent with fatal AlertLevel
> >> except for close_notify, end_of_early_data, and user_canceled. Since
> >> those
> >> three alerts all have separate specified behavior, the AlertLevel field
> >> is
> >> not serving much purpose, other than providing potential for misuse. We
> >> (Facebook) currently receive a number of alerts at incorrect levels from
> >> clients (internal_error warning alerts, etc.).
> >
> > could you expand on why it's a problem?
>
> Why what is a problem?

clients sending incorrect levels for the description they send

> My understanding is that at present, the AlertLevel is not reliable
> (that is, some noticeable fraction of clients send nonsense) and so the
> change in PR 693 is merely documenting existing best practice.

the current draft says that any alert except the three defined as warning
level must be considered fatal and cause connection closure

I don't see how deprecating the field changes anything - the implementations
won't need to behave differently and data on the wire won't be different

--
Regards,
Hubert Kario