"   decode_error  A message could not be decoded because some field was
      out of the specified range or the length of the message was
      incorrect. "

I suppose you could argue that:

"  This alert is used for errors where the message does
      not conform to the formal protocol syntax.  "

Rules that out, but I think I'm willing to stretch it here.

-Ekr