Tony Arcieri <basc...@gmail.com> writes:

>There's already ample material out there (papers, presentations, mailing list
>discussions, etc) which talks about "TLS 1.3".

In other words, the TLS WG and a small number of people who interact with it
call it TLS 1.3.  That's hardly a strong argument when most of the rest of the
world doesn't even call it TLS.

In fact that's something that's come up repeatedly in the bikeshedding so far,
there are some really good, sound arguments for calling it TLS/SSL 4 or
TLS/SSL 2017, while pretty much the only reasons I've seen for TLS 1.3 are
inertia, "we've always called it that"/"I don't want to change"/etc.

Peter.