From: Joseph Birr-Pixton<mailto:jpix...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 4:44 PM
To: tls@ietf.org<mailto:tls@ietf.org>
Subject: [TLS] MTI kx groups, HelloRetryRequest and "Incorrect DHE Share"

Hi folks,

It appears to me that HRR is a pretty large and tricky source of
complexity in TLS1.3. Judging by the implementations page, 40% don't
support it right now. It's *precisely the kind of thing* that vendors
could easily ship broken/missing support for, and they'd get away with
it for years until it causes a interop problem.

The only case where it is used is (4.1.1):

  If there is overlap in the "supported_groups" extension but the client
  did not offer a compatible "key_share" extension, then the server will
  respond with a HelloRetryRequest

We could entirely remove HRR if we slightly strengthen the MTI
language covering kx groups:

- Clients must not only "implement", but actually offer a key share
for NISTP-256 for every ClientHello.

Note: Obviously, this doesn't apply to PSK-only connections where
psk_key_exchange_modes was provided and did not contain psk_dhe_ke.

This need not have any additional computational overhead, because the
client can amortise the key generation over all handshakes where the
server does not select P-256 (hopefully most of them!). In any case,
it's one fixed-base pointmul. It obviously costs 64 bytes-odd on the
wire, but only if the client wasn't going to send a NISTP-256 share
otherwise.

Did I miss something? Are there any other uses of HRR in TLS1.3 which
means we can't get rid of it in this way?

Cheers,
Joe