On 15 Feb 2017, at 19:05, Martin Thomson <martin.thom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Frankly, I'm more concerned that this isn't small enough and that it
> could it be practical to deploy an implementation that don't support
> KeyUpdate.  That would cause a real interop problem.

Maybe we should resurrect [1] and add 3DES support so as to grease KeyUpdate.

No, not really, but TLS is not just the web, and there are connections that
last for a long time and transfer large amounts of data. Think datacenter
synchronization. At packet-sized records 24 million records amounts to 36 GB.
That is considerably larger than a 4 GB software update I downloaded over HTTPS
a few years ago, but not out of the ballpark.

Yoav

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mcgrew-aead-aes-cbc-hmac-sha2-05
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mcgrew-aead-aes-cbc-hmac-sha2-05>