Hi, Kathleen.  See inline.

> On 14 Mar 2017, at 22:40, Kathleen Moriarty
> <kathleen.moriarty.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-tls-rfc4492bis-15: Yes

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-rfc4492bis/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thanks for your work on this draft.  I just have one question:
>
> In section 5.10, I see the following text:
>   The default hash function is SHA-1 [FIPS.180-2], and sha_size (see
>   Section 5.4 and Section 5.8) is 20.  However, an alternative hash
>   function, such as one of the new SHA hash functions specified in
> FIPS
>   180-2 [FIPS.180-2], SHOULD be used instead.

If we add the three lines before the ones you quoted, they say this:
   All ECDSA computations MUST be performed according to ANSI X9.62 or
   its successors.  Data to be signed/verified is hashed, and the result
   run directly through the ECDSA algorithm with no additional hashing.

The default of using SHA-1 is from X9.62:
https://www.security-audit.com/files/x9-62-09-20-98.pdf
<https://www.security-audit.com/files/x9-62-09-20-98.pdf>
That is the document that was referenced by RFC 4492 and it’s from 1998. It
doesn’t mention any hash function other than SHA-1.

RFC 4492 said that other hash functions may be used. We’ve upgraded it to a
SHOULD.