On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:

> I made some proposals yesterday
> (https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg23088.html).
>
> Specifically:
> 1. A SHOULD-level requirement for server-side 0-RTT defense, explaining
> both session-cache and strike register styles and the merits of each.
>
> 2. Document 0-RTT greasing in draft-ietf-tls-grease
>
> 3. Adopt PR#448 (or some variant) so that session-id style implementations
> provide PFS.
>
> 4. I would add to this that we recommend that proxy/CDN implementations
> signal which data is 0-RTT and which is 1-RTT to the back-end (this was in
> Colm's original message).

This all sounds great to me. I'm not sure that we need (4.) if we have
(1.).  I think with (1.) - recombobulating to a single stream might even be
best overall, to reduce application complexity, and it seems to be what
most implementors are actually doing.

I know that leaves the DKG attack, but from a client and servers
perspective that attack is basically identical to a server timeout, and
it's something that systems likely have some fault tolerance around. It's
not /new/ broken-ness.

> Based on Colm's response, I think these largely hits the points he made
> in his original message.
>
> There's already a PR for #3 and I'll have PRs for #1 and #4 tomorrow.
> What would be most helpful to me as Editor would be if people could review
> these PRs and/or suggest other specific changes that we should make
> to the document.

Will do! Many thanks.

--
Colm