On 5/21/2017 7:28 PM, Colm MacCárthaigh wrote:

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com
> <mailto:e...@rtfm.com>> wrote:

>     I'm happy to write this up as part of the first two techniques.
>     I'd be
>     interested in hearing from others in the WG what they think about:
>
>     1. Requiring it.
>     2. Whether they still want to retain the stateless technique.
>

> I'm for requiring it, and for removing the stateless technique ...
> because it prevents the side-channel and DOS attacks and those seem
> like the most serious ones (and also, the new ones).
>
> So far each case where we've thought "Actually stateless might be ok
> in this case" ... like the example of DNS ... turns out not to be safe
> when examined more closely (in DNSes case it would compromise privacy
> because caches could be probed).

I would much rather see this specified within TLS than within the
application. Specifically, I would not like to see application making
statements that they can only use 0-RTT if the TLS software that they
use does implement "at most once" limitations on 0-RTT tickets. You
know, pretty much like those security sections that explain than a
careless application will be safe if it runs over IPSEC. Maybe with some
RFC 6919 language.

-- Christian Huitema