On 13/10/17 00:13, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have just posted a first cut at a connection ID draft.
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rescorla-tls-dtls-connection-id-00
>
> Comments welcome.

As a near-nit, I don't think "dismissed" is a good way
to describe the analysis of some of the ideas that came
up earlier.

In particular, I still think there's merit in some use
of a hash chains, to decrease linkability, even if that's
not done for every packet.

For example, considering a client that might detect an
occasional change of 5-tuple, it could use something like

   id_n=H(foo||id_(n-1)) where foo is something dependent
   on the TLS session secrets (exporter-like)

That way the TLS stacks can pre-calculate the next id
(or a bunch of those) and then only lookups are needed
(though the tables are bigger of course) just as with a
static connection id.

I'd argue that such designs not be dismissed.

I accept that the design needs to end up being efficient
enough to get used but I don't think that we need to go
for the simplest possible design, if that exposes 5-tuple
linkages in ways that setting up new TLS sessions would
not.

Cheers,
S.