On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 09:55:51AM -0800, Jim Schaad wrote:

> [...]

Suppose client supports large-records extension that allows records up
to 65535 bytes, but the server does not know about this extension.

Then ClientHello which has record size limit of 65519 and the
extension MUST NOT cause an abort, because such ClientHello is fully
valid.

This would be very unusual requirement. So better to specify that the
server MUST accept overly large values, internally truncating to the
negotiated protocol maximums or implementation maximums, whichever is
smaller.

The server to client direction is different matter. Client always
understands all server extensions (there is a requirement to abort
otherwise) so it knows what is the maximum possible record size for
the negotiated protocol and can check that. However, it must still
internally trunccate that to implementation maximums.

Also, the values are capability advertisments, so the server value can
be larger or smaller than the client value. Following is fully legal
and well-defined in TLS 1.3:

Client: maximum-record-size=1025 (do not send me more than 1024 bytes
of record plaintext).
Server: maximum-record-size=16385 (understood, send me any size you
like within protocol limits).

-Ilari