Greetings.

TLS 1.3 draft in sec 4.2.3.  Signature Algorithms tells that if a client
wants to negotiate TLS 1.3, it must support an upgraded (and
incompatible) version of TLS 1.2, the one that changes RFC 5246 to allow
RSA-PSS in sec. 7.4.1.4.1. Signature Algorithms.

You might recall that the possibility to negotiate between PSS and
RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5 in TLS 1.3 handshake, just as it is allowed for X.509
signatures, was discussed on the mailing list. The WG decision then was
to hard-wire PSS in the TLS 1.3 handshake.

I don't recall any discussion on going further than this, all the way to
changing the 10-year old TLS 1.2.

Unfortunately, our products have issues with PSS beyond our control. The
only solution left to avoid receiving PSS with TLS 1.2 is to never
negotiate TLS 1.3 as a client. Another solution is insecure fallback,
but we presently don't do this.

Is my reading of the situation correct? Thank you.