On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 4:03 PM Andrey Jivsov <cry...@brainhub.org> wrote:
> > Implementations that advertise support for RSASSA-PSS (which is
mandatory
> > in TLS 1.3), MUST be prepared to accept a signature using that scheme
even
> > when TLS 1.2 is negotiated. "

> Correct. That's the single paragraph that I think should not be there.

This has been discussed.  The working group felt that it was worthwhile
having support for PSS in TLS 1.2 and that they preferred not to add more
codepoints to support that.

The cost here is as you say: clients that offer 1.3 need to be able to
handle PSS certs from a server.  The cost for the alternative is to make
the signature algorithm meaningful in TLS 1.3, which leaves us looking for
a solution for 1.2 (yes, a new codepoint would achieve that).